A powerhouse of healthy foods!
This is an excellent immune boosting dish. Make enough to last a few days. You can alternate the protein to break the monotony, or sprinkle a new spice on top each time you have some… cinnamon, thyme..etc.
This is a satisfying meal, good on cool evenings. Serve with a salad and 4 oz. cold water fish.
- 2 tsp. Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 c. diced organic Onions
- 1 1/2 c. diced organic Carrots
- 1 1/2 c. diced Celery
- 3 small cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. of assorted organic Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2/3 c. of Pearl Barley, rinsed
- 4 c. organic Veggie Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground Black Pepper
- 4 shakes of Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- 2 organic Bell Peppers, 1 Red, 1 Green, diced
- 3 Tbs. of fresh organic Parsley, chopped
On medium-low heat, sauté the onion, carrots and celery in 2 teaspoons of olive oil for 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, stir for a minute and then the mushrooms. Cook until they soften, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the peppers and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the barley is tender and much of the broth is absorbed.
Remove the bay leaf and garnish each bowl with ½ Tbs. of parsley.