Many times you may be on the go, and just want to reach into the fridge and grab a quick (but healthy) ‘something’ to have for lunch. It could be a morning when you’re rushing off to work, or a busy weekend with no time to sit down. You can relate to that I’m sure.
With summer around the corner, a cold meal is welcome.
Chicken Salad is a healthy alternative to other fillings (since processed meats are a No-no!, and you don’t want to have canned tuna more than once a week at most …thanks to mercury content).
I love the combination or sweet and savory, and adding low-sugar fruits to a sandwich is both tasty and smart! I have been known to add slightly under-ripe chopped pears to my tuna salad, or on the flip side… a dill pickle to my peanut butter! (I know, I know, I hear it all the time from my kids and J… “yecchh”… but ever since I was 15 I loved this combo. Back then it was a home-made pickle, but an organic Dill will do the trick if you dare try it!) 🙂
Enter Waldorf Chicken (or Tofu) Salad…
Anytime you have leftover cooked chicken, set some aside to make this salad. It keeps for 2 – 3 days, and if you finely chop the ingredients you can serve it with whole wheat baked pita chips as a snack.
Waldorf Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 cups cooked organic Chicken, diced (or 2 cups grilled or barbecued Tofu for Vegan recipe)
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider vinegar
- 2 medium organic Granny Smith Apples, unpeeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup organic Grapes (halved)
- 2 organic Celery Stalks, thinly sliced
- Shredded organic Green Leaf or Romaine Lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- 2 Tbs. organic whole Cranberry Sauce (opt.)
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- Dash of Curry
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Serve on whole grain bread, Udi’s Gluten Free Chia bread, tucked in a whole wheat pita pocket, or atop salad greens.
~ To Your Health! ♥