Vegan Black Bean Burgers
Note: This amount makes about 8 small burgers; multiply to suit your needs. It keeps pretty well in the refrigerator for a few days, and freezes well too.
- 2 c. of cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 2 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 3 Tbs. chopped green onion
- 1/2 c. finely chopped organic mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 c. barley or rye flour (use brown rice for gluten-free)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 4 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- a few drops of Tabasco
- 1 tsp. Stevia
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Place a pan over medium heat and wait 1 minute. Add 1 Tbs. olive oil and wait 30 seconds. Add ginger, green onions and mushrooms stirring until wilted.
Add nuts to pan and sauté for 1 minute more.
Put 3 Tbs. of the beans in a separate dish. Place the rest of the beans in food processor and blend. Add cumin and flour, and process again.
Add vegetables, the reserved beans and nuts, and pulse until just mixed (keep some texture).
Divide mix into 8 to 10 portions. Moisten your hands with a little water, and shape portions into patties.
Cook for about 6 – 8 minutes.
Top with Sauce, lettuce and onions!