Quite often my Saturday mornings offer themselves for breakfast experiments.
This week it was a flat cake I was seeking, not a sweet one… but one that had full flavor. The first try was short of excellent, but with a tweak or two, and my daughter as a taster, I have come up with a tasty, super-nutritious flap jack.
Try this with a dollop of the Non-Dairy Ricotta Cheese I posted a few days ago.
This recipe is full of disease-prevention goodness:
- Turmeric and Cinnamon are powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor spices;
- Nutritional yeast is full of vitamins and is a good source of protein;
- Coconut and Almond flour are gluten-free and full of fiber and protein
- Flax seeds are a must for both their fiber and anti-oxidant properties;
- Hi-Omega3 eggs offer a health-sound source of fat and protein
Hoda’s Coconut Flour, Turmeric-Cocoa Flat Cakes, Gluten Free
- 1/8 c. Coconut Flour
- 1/8 c. Almond Flour
- 2 Tbs. Flax seeds, freshly ground
- 2 Tbs. Coconut, shredded
- 1 tsp. Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. organic Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
- 2 Hi-Omega3 organic Eggs
- 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla extract
- 2 Tsp. raw Honey
- 1 Tbs. Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 tsp. organic Butter, melted
- 1/4 c. + 1 Tbs. Coconut Milk (or Almond Milk)
- 2 Tbs. raw, unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbs. dark Chocolate Chips (opt.)
- Additional Coconut oil for pan
Mix dry ingredient together in a medium size bowl.
In a small bowl, beat eggs with vanilla and honey until blended.
Add remaining wet ingredients and mix well. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. If batter is thick add more milk.
Heat large skillet over medium high until hot, turn heat down to medium. Coat lightly with coconut oil, and pour cakes to shape and size desired.
Bake until bubbles begin to appear, then flip and cook until done.
Serve with fruit or a little no-sugar-added jam. This recipe would also be tasty with toasted pecans in the batter.
~ In good health! ♥