Just in time for the Holidays… I adapted this recipe from mynewroots.org. I added cardamom and orange peel, and substituted green tea for water to increase the antioxidant value. It’s high in protein and fiber and flavor!
Nutty Seed Bread, Gluten-free and Dairy free
The bread is delicious on its own, or topped with coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon, low sugar fruit spread, almond yogurt, or Zaatar mix.
- 1 cup Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
- ½ cup Flax seeds, grind 1 Tbs. of it
- ½ cup mixed Hazelnuts(halved) and Almonds (or whichever you prefer)
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free organic Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbs. Chia seeds
- 4 Tbs. Psyllium Seed Husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
- 1 tsp. Cardamom (for a subtle flavor, add more to bring it out)
- 3/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 Tbs. grated organic Orange Rind
- 1 Tbs. pure Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbs. melted Coconut Oil or organic grass-fed Butter
- 1 ½ cups brewed Green Tea
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, stirring to mix.
Whisk maple syrup, oil or butter and tea together in a measuring cup. Add to dry ingredients and mix well until dough is formed. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of water or tea if dough is too stiff.
Let sit, covered, for 2 hours, or overnight.
Dough should retain its shape when you mound it.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Scoop dough into lightly greased loaf pan. Place in the oven on middle rack, and bake for 25 minutes.
Carefully loosen bread from loaf pan, and place it upside down on a rack and bake for another 30 minutes. Bread is done if it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
This bread will keep, well-wrapped, in refrigerator, and freezes well.