I made a plain batch of this wonderful bread (without strawberries) last week, and I think I ate the whole loaf (minus one little piece)! It’s gluten, grain and dairy free, with very little sweetener.
This week I wanted to try it with a fruity touch, since it’s a sweet bread. I think it’s a winner.
The original recipe came from The Spunky Coconut cookbook. I have made some minor modifications.
Coconut-Milk Strawberry Bread
- 1 c. less 1 Tbs. Coconut Milk, room temperature (or 1/2 c. each Coconut Cream and Almond milk)
- 4 whipped Hi-omega3 organic Eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 c. melted virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4c. chopped, ripe organic Strawberries (under-ripe fruit will have no flavor)
- 1 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs. raw Honey
- 2 c. Almond Flour
- 1/2 c. Coconut Flour, sifted
- 2 Tbs. Psyllium Husk Powder (Whole Foods or online)
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper across a glass* loaf pan so that it lays falls down one long side, across the bottom and back up the other long side.
* If you use a metal loaf pan you will need to adjust cooking time.
Use coconut oil to grease the two short ends of the dish. Fold any paper that extends above edge of pan and tuck in so it won’t burn. Set aside.
Add dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
Add wet ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. And whisk well.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer.
Mix all together with whisk or electric mixer
Using a flexible spatula, scoop half of the batter into the prepared pan, and press it down firmly.
Add the rest of the batter to the dish using the flexible silicone spatula, and press down firmly again. The top should be smooth and level when you’re finished.
Bake for about 55 minutes hour.
Let the bread rest in the pan until cool (Ha! I didn’t wait that long!)
After 24 hours, wrap and refrigerate. This is a moist bread.
It’s also good toasted with a smear of coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
NOTE: If baking without strawberries, add the 1 Tbs. coconut milk back in.