Fava beans, also known as Broad-beans and very popular in Middle Eastern cooking, are dense with nutrition.
Fava beans have no saturated fat or cholesterol and offer a healthy dose of thiamin, vitamin K, vitamin B-6, potassium, copper, selenium, zinc and magnesium.
They are also a source of lean protein.
Fava beans can be served raw or cooked. The bean pods are usually discarded, but if young and tender you may blanch them before adding to a dish.
The beans themselves can be served in their skin if young and tender, or shelled before eating.
A serving of cooked or fresh Fava beans can significantly increase your intake of folate, iron, manganese and dietary fiber.
This traditional Lebanese recipe is a meal-in-a-pot. It is cooked with home-preserved beef during winter months. You may omit the beef for a vegetarian version.
But besides being an excellent cool weather meal, it can be served at room temperature on warm days. Add a vegetable or salad and dinner is ready.
Fava Bean Stew with Rice
- 2 Tbs. Coconut oil mixed with 1 Tbs. e.v. Olive Oil
- 1/2 c. organic Onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. diced organic, grass-fed beef rubbed with a little Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper and 1/2 tsp. Allspice
- 2 cups of shelled, fresh Fava Beans, you may leave inner skins on if tender
- 1/2 c. each organic Brown Basmati and Wild Rice
- 1/4 c. organic Brown or French Lentils
- 2 c. Hot Water or warmed up Broth or brewed Green Tea
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
Place oils in a 1-1/2 qt. pot over medium-low heat. Wait 3 minutes, then add onions. Turn heat to medium, and cook onions, stirring, until translucent.
Add beef and saute, stirring until no longer pink on the outside.
Add Fava Beans and rest of ingredients. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
Cover, and cook on low heat until rice and beans are tender, and liquid is absorbed, about 30-35 minutes. If needed, add a little more liquid, cover and cook until done.
Enjoy alongside a fresh green salad served with a lemon-vinegar-garlic dressing.
~ Sahtein (souble health)! ♥