How my Journey Began – Part II

Don’t allow anyone to make you doubt decisions you made in the past, or decisions you feel strongly about right now.

This is your body, your life and you are the only one who knows from the inside out, what feels right for you.  You can only follow your heart.  If something that is suggested to you doesn’t sit well, say so.

I come from a long line of strong believers in God, so leaning on my faith I decided I was going to summon the lion inside me…fighting off negativity and any feeling of despair.  Your faith in a benevolent power or system is critical to your recovery. That and an unwavering trust that you will get better, and that all passes. Remaining cheerful and upbeat may sound ridiculous, but it can be done. Surrounding yourself with positive people, happy music and laughter is a HUGE step to recovery!

I chose not to join a support group. For me it meant ‘classifying’ myself as someone who was now this other thing.  I saw this as ‘me’ going through a transformation on many levels, not an ‘illness’. I didn’t want to give my mind the chance to believe that my condition was anything more than a temporary, albeit difficult, learning process. My decision was also impacted by the fact that I had a good support system. Either my boyfriend or my doctor friend went to practically every appointment I made. My boyfriend drove me to each Chemo treatment.  We played Yahtzee or cards, giggled a lot and sometimes just read together during the 3 hour sessions. My nieces took turns cooking meals for me according to my diet. And if I needed to ask a question or vent, my doctor friend was there, day or night.

The people around me are all positive people.  I would advise anyone going through treatment to avoid any worry-wart friends, negative friends for the time being. You want to surround yourself with a happy, light environment.  Your faith in your recovery will help those around you behave the same way.

Admittedly, for some people going to a support group is necessary, especially if they don’t have a strong social network and someone who can be there every day. I did enjoy participating in a drumming class offered through the hospital, and yoga classes are very helpful.

Before each chemo session I was advised to have a massage so my body would feel relaxed and ready, and a few days after each treatment I went to my acupuncturist to help with side effects, moving toxins out of my body, and supporting my organs.

If you do choose traditional treatment prepare to go through a roller-coaster of feelings as physical and psychological side effects emerge. You’ll have to learn to be detached from the way you look and the way you used to perceive yourself. Losing weight, losing your hair, eyebrows and lashes can be quite a shock.  If you decide to have a mastectomy, that’s another physical-emotional-psychological adjustment to make.

But you know, it’s all ‘stuff’.  I mean it’s just surface stuff. I didn’t want to look in the mirror after my daughter helped me shave my head.  But she and I can see the humor in the superficial. We cracked jokes to make the process easier.  I called my self Telly Savalas (remember him?.. “Who loves you baby?”)

We went shopping for a wig, and had fun trying different styles and colors. I discovered and bought eyebrow tattoos that worked well too. And I usually wear eye-makeup, so I lined my lids when my lashes fell away, and always dotted blush on my cheeks. I was intent on looking my best, for my son and my boyfriend’s girls (who never realized I was going through treatment). I wanted to act as normal as possible, you don’t need your kids to worry about your health.

Do what you need to to feel good. Walking helped me keep up my energy as did the Super Supplements suggested by my Nutritional Oncologist. I never had a lot of fatigue, and with occasional medication and the right spices and foods, had no trouble with nausea.

I opted for a port in my arm for infusions, and a month and a half later I developed a blood clot.  I called the Oncologist’s office but the receptionist would only put me through to the Triage line, which is always a recording, so I left a message.  This was Monday. They promise a 48 hour call back at the most, but I felt this was urgent.  I called the next day and asked to speak with my Doctor but she was out of town.  I explained my problem and they put me through to Triage again! I left another message.  By Wednesday I wasn’t waiting, I spoke with my primary care physician who sent me for an Ultrasound.  There were 2 small clots in peripheral arteries, so he put me on Coumadin.

The following Monday my Oncologist called me as a followup, and I told her how dismayed I was at their office procedure and lack of responsiveness.  She said she noticed some note in the system and someone dropped the ball, and she would be ‘looking in to it’… no apology… and went on to ask how I was feeling.  Ugh.

During the second month of treatment, I started feeling a weight on my chest when I lay down, and would start coughing.  After 3 days I told the Oncologist.  She ordered an MRI of my lungs, and it showed a a few spots and fluid in the lower right lung, and a small amount in the left one.  Three weeks prior I had brought a kitten home from the pet store. For some reason I wanted a kitten.  This is very curious because 1) I am super meticulous about cat hair in the house, 2) don’t like having a litter box indoors, and 3) we already had my daughter’s cat living with us and 3 cats outdoors!

Anyway, I thought that perhaps I was allergic to her hair.  The Oncologist called to say we need to extract and test fluid from my lung to see what it was, but that she would ‘bet money the spots were cancer‘. She started to talk about finding a clinical trial for me to join, not even stopping to ask or to think the effect her words were having on me!

You can imagine my utter shock!  I didn’t believe it was cancer, my intuitive hit was that it was a virus or something like that; and why was she jumping to conclusions before we had any definitive answer?
When she made that awful statement,  I immediately thought, “You just lost your money, lady.” But she unhinged me for about 24 hours.  I couldn’t believe that things were so dire. I had a hard time recapturing my optimism, but I the next day it was back.

I went to my appointment for the fluid extraction, but because my blood was too thin I was sent home. They told me to get off Coumadin and test my blood again in 2 days. So I went home and waited for the Oncology office to tell me when to get tested again. During this time I decided I was going to heal my lungs.  Many times during the day I visualized a golden, divine rainfall penetrating my body and bathing my lungs in its healing light.  I meditated on this feeling of healing.

Three days went by and my Oncologist did not call.  I couldn’t wait around any longer, so since I had a standing order for INR blood tests, I took myself to the lab. The results were in the safe range, so I called the hospital and renewed my appointment.  The doctor did a sonogram and said there was now too little fluid to extract, so he sent me home. He called my oncologist. She called me the next day and said to go back to the hospital because the head doctor in that department said he could do the extraction!

So once again I went to the hospital, checked in and was taken to the appropriate floor.  The nurse prepped me, and when the doctor came in he asked why I came back!  He apologized and said he called the Oncologist an hour ago and told her it was not possible to do an extraction despite what the person she talked to the day before said.  I was upset that the doc didn’t call me to save me the trip.  But, to them you’re a $$ sign, and out of sight is out of mind.  The hospital sent me an apology note and a free Starbucks card although it wasn’t their fault.

Well, finally I had a PET CT done, and by then the spots were gone and the fluid vanished! I thanked God for His grace and intervention.  My meditation worked. It took a lot of positive thinking, visualization and determined faith that my body can heal itself.

Unfortunately a friend of mine who saw the same oncologist had a similar bad experience. She gave her a treatment recommendation over the phone based on her ‘recollection’ of my friend’s situation.  It turned out to be the wrong one!

t’s imperative that we self-advocate.  There are many competent and skilled Oncologists, but some have a large ego and weak personal skills. If you’re dealing with cancer, your Doctor’s demeanor and knowledge are things you need to be comfortable with.

…more later.

6 thoughts on “How my Journey Began – Part II

  1. have you heard of treating cancer with baking soda? so simple but read a lot about it online works on the belief that cancer is only able to thrive in a acidic enviroment and the bakin soda makes the body alkaline. i am really diggin your blog

    1. Thank you, and yes…Alkalining our bodies fights off many illnesses, even the common cold. I put the juice of half a lemon in practically every cup of water I drink. I also a avoid acidic foods, red meat. Caffeine, sugars.

      I enjoyed your blog! I love it when people become aware that feeding and treating our 4 ‘bodies’ is the only way to heal and be happy.


    1. I appreciate your kind thoughts! It’s been an amazing learning experience, and I’m a better person for it. Sending Light and Health back at you. ~ Hoda

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s